It’s time to start planning that next big adventure and we reveal our tips for THE hottest travel destinations for 2013. Get ahead of the crowd and be seen in one of these must-visit locations.
5. Brazil – As hosts of the 2014 Soccer World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics, the city of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil is even more alive than usual. Rio, “Cidade Maravilhosa” aka the Marvelous City is known the world over for its absolutely stunning landscapes and verdant location which is nestled between towering lush mountains and crystalline seas. Visit Recife the capital of Pernambuco State, known locally as the ‘Brazilian Venice’ due to its sheer number of waterways and multitude of bridges. Experience for yourself the delicate balance between nature and man when you explore one of most important sanctuaries of ecology in the Fernando de Noronha region and the main Fernando island which is the only island that is inhabited on the Archipelago. And explore the city of Salvador which is one of Brazil’s most alluring cultural and historical sites, filled with ancient churches, traditional homes and old forts that collectively reflect the important Portuguese architecture dating from around the Baroque period.
4. South Africa – Since hosting the 2010 Fifa World Cup, South Africa is high on the list of must-see countries. With luxurious safari lodges and an abundance of wildlife, a Kruger National Park safari is an obvious choice for adventure travel. There is plenty of culture and history too with Cape Town, Cape Point, Kirstenbosch and the Waterfront recommended. When in South Africa check out the amazing whales off Hermanus, climb Table Mountain and try the world-famous famous wines.
Need inspiration to choose your next adventure holidays and vacations? Check out the PureTravel Guides which cover every country in the world! Find out what to see, what to do and when to go.
3. Vietnam – Much more laid back and less developed than many other South-East Asian countries, Vietnam is now receiving more and more visitors searching for a unique travel adventure, so get in quick! The capital city, Hanoi is bustling with markets, quaint streets and French colonial architecture. To chill out, check out the magnificent pristine waters and beaches of Nha Trang, Try trekking in Sapa, in the far north of the country or visit the rural villages on Dalat for a taste of traditional cultures. And don’t miss thriving, manic Ho Chi Minh City packed with historical sites and history of the Vietnam War.
2. Istanbul, Turkey – Awarded European Capital of Culture in 2010, Istanbul is jam packed with Byzantine and Ottoman relics and historical sites. Truly where East meets West, Istanbul is thriving with plenty of restaurants, bars, galleries and clubs to choose from. Check out the minarets of the Blue Mosque, browse the stunning Hagia Sophia, see how the sultans lived their lives at the sumptuous Topkapi Palace and relax and while the nights away on a Bosphorus River cruise which offers amazing views back onto the Old City, a perfect blend of travel and adventure.
1. Italy – Italy has been a favored destination for years and rightly so with its picturesque landscapes, sumptuous regional foods and ancient sites, but steer away from the usual tourist haunts and rediscover Italy. Head to Cinque Terre, a rugged portion of coast on the Italian Riviera in the Liguria region which offers walking opportunities through picture-postcard perfect villages where the area has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Tuscany is well-known as an Italian holiday hotspot, packed with art cities, medieval towns, open markets, food and wine producers, Tuscany promises to restore your senses and nourish your soul! And to work off all that food and wine head to La Costa del Sud, a quiet area of Sardinia, rich in natural beauty, historic traces and industrial archaeology for a mountain biking adventure exploring abandoned villages, canyons and the coastline.