Now is a great time to be travelling! There are loads of deals out there whether you’re looking for a last minute sunshine getaway or a winter sports break. So pack that bag and follow our travel tips and advice for that last minute getaway.
1. Apply for travel-specific credit cards. They will come in handy when it comes to saving serious money. You should be selective about them and look for the cards that are load-free. If you were to use a standard credit card when making a purchase overseas, you would be charged an additional percentage, for any purchase you make because of it being a foreign exchange transaction. When you return from your trip, you should pay off the bill in full to ensure that you do not end up paying the high percentage rates of the card itself.
2. If you are traveling to Europe, you will want to make sure that you have an EHIC card and that it is current. This card helps to assure that you can receive medical attention without paying outrageous fees. You will be covered the same as a local would. You do not pay for anything that anyone from the country wouldn't pay for. This is a free service and can easily be obtained or renewed.
3. If you have not booked your flight, you should strive to get the lowest price. Nowadays there are so many websites available that can help with this. You will need to input the amount that you would be willing to pay for the tickets and the sites will come back with information on when a flight for the price will be available. Choose a well-known short or long haul budget destination to make your money go further.
4. Having the necessary information with you when you need it is extremely important while on vacation. You should print out a free guide to hassle-free travel. Within this you can record all important phone numbers and other information you will need, such as what to do if your passport has been stolen.
5. Travel insurance is another important thing to have when going on a trip. Having adequate travel insurance helps to take the headache out of situations that could arise when traveling. It will help to cover lost luggage, delays in your travel, trips that are cancelled, medical emergencies and much more. This is a great way to feel more secure in the plans that you have made.
6. Look for the best deals on travel cash before you leave for the airport. When you wait to do this until the airport, you are sure to pay higher rates. By looking for the best exchange rates and deals before you leave, you will have more options and better rates. You will not be trapped into paying more at the airport.
7. Now is a great time to travel to countries such as Spain and Greece where the cost of hotels has dropped dramatically due to the economic issues. You can easily get a great four or five-star hotel for the price of a two or three-star. Do some research on the hotel and what the rates are. When you are staying for an extended amount of time, you can save hundreds of dollars by choosing a great hotel at a low price.
8. Book your rental car before you leave for your trip. You will be able to look at the different options and find the best car rental deal. If you do not have a chance to do it before you leave, you should still look online when you get to your destination for the various options and find the best deal.
9. Try to book your hotel just weeks before you leave. The longer you can wait to book your travel accommodation, the better your deal will be. If a hotel is not able to fill their rooms, they will reduce the price in an effort to try and get the rooms filled. Keep checking the rates for the hotel you want to stay at and you are sure to save some money.
10. If you are purchasing items when on vacation, using a credit card is the safest way to go. There is a law that gives consumers protection on purchases. If you buy a product overseas and get it home and it is broke or defective, the credit card company has to protect your purchase. Check the terms and conditions of your individual credit card company.