Today sees the end of a four-day festival extravaganza in Melbourne, Australia, the Moomba Waterfest. It’s Melbourne’s premier event and has been running since 1955. The festival has music and amazing fireworks displays and has been called a Mardi Gras for all the family!
There is also a water-skiing championship along the River Yarra, the Moomba Carnivale in Birrarung Marr and the final day sees a huge Street Parade. These four days have been about the whole family enjoying the music, dance and sports and the entire event has been absolutely free!
The actual word ‘Moomba’ comes from the Aboriginal word and means ‘to get together and have fun’ and they’ve certainly given it their best shot! The festival attracts locals TV and entertainment celebrities and the sports held during Moomba include water-skiing, King of Winch aka wakeboarding on land and of course, it being Australia, beach volleyball.
Sports adventures and activities are Australia’s forte and if visiting consider these options:
– Sailing in the Whitsundays
– Skiing in the Snowy Mountains
– Boating on the Murray River
– White water rafting on The Franklin River
– Four wheel drive safari on Fraser Island
– Hike and trek at Kings Canyon in Watarrka National Park
– Diving at the Great Barrier Reef (of course!)