Car rental is often a key factor for a business trip or holiday. You need to get to the airport to your accommodation and this can present its fair share of hassles. This is where car rental comes into its own, as once you are sitting inside your vehicle you can go where you want to. Perfect for a holiday or business trip.
The question that surfaces are whether to hire a car from the airport or hire it from in town. Both have pros and cons so let’s explore these in more depth.
Airport Car Rental
There are many advantages to hiring a car from the airport. Airports throughout Europe often have a car rental desk and it is a question of picking up the keys and getting in the car and off you go. For airports in Spain, pre-booking is best. So it is a plane to car affair such as what can be found when looking into car hire in Malaga and similar locations. Other advantages include:
- You’ll pick up the car at the airport. This is a great time saver and convenient. No messing around trying to get a cab, bus, or train to the car rental offices. You simply pick it up and off you go.
- There is normally a good choice of models. Taking our Malaga example, it is very easy to find luxury car hire Malaga and this is the case in most airports. So you may want something snazzy for a business trip and something family orientated when children are with you.
- There is a lot less stress involved which is great for when you’re coming through the arrivals section of the airport. No matter how well designed there is a high degree of stress associated with most airports. From getting off the plane to collecting luggage always feels a bit like a lottery that everything is going to go smoothly. Getting to an offsite car rental office just feels like a step too far.
Now we’ve looked at the pros, let’s look at the cons:
- Although in theory hiring a car from the airport is a good move, often the car rental office isn’t right there in arrivals. Instead, it could be in the car park which involves a shuttle bus ride. With cases, children, and so on and so forth this can be a hassle.
- Queues especially in peak travel months can be big as holidaymakers flock to the rental desk to pick up their wheels. Moreover, there will be an influx of people that didn’t prebook and this can take time to process.
In Town Car Rental
Car rental in town lacks the convenience of airport car rental although it is an option depending on your circumstances. It could be the offices are very close to your accommodation or perhaps you have secured a good deal. Let’s look at the pros.
- You escape airport queues and the hustle and bustle. This is a good reason to go for in town car hire as you leave the hassle behind.
- You may have secured a meet and greet deal where a representative from the car company brings the car to you.
- Good choice of vehicles perfect for the solo traveller, families, and groups of friends.
Now we’ve looked at the pros let’s take a look at the cons:
- However you spin it, you’ll still going to have to get from the airport to the car rental unless you have a ‘meet and greet’ option. This can turn into the absurd as arranging a taxi involves similar processes to arranging car hire from the airport. If you’re planning to get a bus to the car rental office you may be in for a long wait. It is the luck of draw.
- Getting to an offsite car rental office with luggage and children is no fun. It can become a logistical nightmare and this is not a great start to a holiday. Even if you’re travelling on business, getting to another location to pick up a car is not the best mindset to conduct efficient and profitable business.
Car rental firms are not created equal and your choice of airport car hire or in town may be dictated by other factors such as your budget. Nonetheless, there can be no denying that airport car hire, even with queues is less hassle than getting in town and picking up your car.
If you’re travelling on business, it could be there is no option but to opt for a specific firm and they may be based outside of the airport. It is the luck of the draw in this circumstance.
Whichever option you choose and if it is in your hands check reviews of any car rental firm you are planning to use. Always go for the good reputable ones for the best possible start to a holiday or business trip.