Are you planning to move to the United States? Have you met someone from the States and you are thinking about settling down and getting married? If all the answers are affirmative, then it is pretty important to get some ideas clear. First of all lucky you! Now we need to discuss some of the issues that arise around moving and marrying in the USA.
One of the major aspects is keeping a check on the documentation process. The documentation process mainly includes obtaining a green card. Marriage green cards allow the spouse of a US citizen to live or work in the United States. A green card holder is a permanent resident until they decide to opt for U.S. citizenship. Anyone becomes eligible for this after three years of holding a green card.
If you find it difficult to get all the information about the application process for the green card, then you are at the right place. We will provide a simplified step to step process of the application for the green card.
Steps for the application process of marriage-based green card
- The first step in this is to fill the Form I-130, which is basically for providing the document that shows the marriage relationship’s establishment. This process helps you to provide a supporting document that establishes the fact that you are invalid marriage. Some of the critical elements while filling this form should be considered, such as government filing fees, proof of marriage, etc.
- The second step is specifically for establishing the spouse’s eligibility for applying for a green card. In this process, the US government adjudged them by two options, which depend on the spouse’s location. Those who are already residing in states should fill form I-485 that provides an establishment for adjustment of status.
- After filling these forms now, the process comes to the green card interview and awaiting approval. This is the final step that has massive value. In this, the applicant is adjudged for the authenticity of the marriage. The interviewing officer asks the couple about their relationship history and different other questions related to daily chores and future planning.
- After these steps, you have to wait as the process needs time. There are some of the inspection works which are carried out by the personnel. This step doesn’t need your support as the officials look for credibility in your marriage and other factors.
With these instructions, you are now capable of understanding the whole process. However, the third step is one of the critical ones, and people often wonder about the different types of questions asked by the interviewing official. The following are some of them, which will help you to get an effective idea.
- Does Your Spouse Live in The United States?
- Does Your Spouse Live Abroad?
- How does your interaction start?
- Are you aware of the different rules and regulations of the US?
These are just the sample questions. It may vary as per the discretion of the officials. You have to keep these in mind to help you apply for the marriage-based green card without any hassles.