A travel survey has just revealed the top ten must-visit destinations, and the great news is they’re not all expensive and far flung locations – hooray! So how many of these hot destinations can you tick off your must-see list?
The travel poll of British travellers was completed by TravelSupermarket and the results are interesting – gone are the super long haul options like the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and rather surprisingly Rio de Janeiro in Brazil doesn’t make an appearance, despite hosting two of the biggest sporting events on earth in the next couple of years.
- Witnessing the spectacular Aurora Borealis in Norway is top of the list with 37% of respondents wanting to catch the light show, which is at its peak this winter
- Seeing the impressive Egyptian pyramids up close is second on this list (35%)
- Taking a road trip along the iconic Route 66 that runs 2,451 miles (3,945 km) through the heart of the USA was the third most popular option (33%)
- Walking a part of the Great Wall of China was also a popular destination (32%)
- Nearly 1 in 3 people wanted to experience the thrill and excitement of an African safari (31%)
- Travellers also wanted to discover the mighty Grand Canyon and dazzling Las Vegas Strip from the air on a helicopter ride (30%)
- A Caribbean cruise was next up, proving that cruises have really gained in popularity and with the flexibility to see a different island every day, we predict they’ll remain popular (29%)
- Top of many travellers’ wishlists is witnessing the exquisite Taj Mahal in India up close (28%)
- Journeying through Venice in Italy onboard a traditional gondola make the top ten list (27%)
- And finally the Great Barrier Reef in Australia completes the list, with travellers yearning to dive the most famous coral reef on earth (24%)
How many destinations have you been to already? And which locations are on your must-see list for 2014 and beyond? Leave your comments below…