- Other recommended French ski resorts in the Rhone-Alps region includes Tignes which has a solid snow record and challenging slopes; the impossibly chic ‘place to be seen’ Val d'Isere and pretty Meribel which offers snowboarding as well as skiing.
- Other top ski resorts in Canada include Mont Tremblant which offers great skiing and snowboarding in Quebec; Whistler Mountain via the Vancouver gateway and 2,500 acres of ski opportunities at Fernie in British Columbia.
*Ski season is already under way in the Banff National Park with record snowfalls already hitting the resort areas. In fact this is the earliest that Mt. Norquay has opened in its entire 87 year history! Last year the resort had 34 feet in total of snowfall and just this week there has been at least 30cm of snow coupled with perfect temperatures.The Banff resort of Lake Louise hosts the Winterstart World Cup for the men’s events from 24-25 November and the women’s events are held on 30 November and 1 December. The quickest skiiers in the world compete in downhill and super-G events in the challenging Rocky Mountains. St. Moritz, Switzerland St. Moritz in the Engadin Valley within the Engadin Mountains is the home of the Olypia Bobrun and the Cresta Run Bobsleigh Track. Visitors can learn to bobsleigh and can complete an ice run 3/4 mile long with a 514 foot drop! Other favourite activities offered at St. Moritz include kite skiing and surfing, air taxi hang gliding, sky diving and the Graubunden hike and bike. Switzerland is more easily accessible this season thanks to Eurostar who have just launched a new high speed train service travelling from London St Pancras and Ashford, UK. Trains will run from 22 December 22 right through to April 2013 and will travel right into the center of the Swiss Alps and the Valais; perfect for the ski resorts of Verbier, Zermatt, Saas Fee and Gstaad.
- Switzerland has long been a favourite destination for ski enthusiasts with regions including the five mountains of Davos; Grindelwald nestled beside the stunning Jungfrau glacier; high altitude ski runs at Saas-Fee, expansive and extensive runs at Verbier and Zermatt beside the mighty Matterhorn Mountain.
- Other ski destinations in Austria include quiet and laidback Ellmau in the Salzburg Province and family-friendly Mayrhofen in the Tyrol region.
Latest Skiing News; Ski costs tumble Ski breaks are set to cost less this season for UK travellers thanks to a variety of factors; strong UK currency against the Euro, good promotions, midweek Christmas and New Year holidays and the UK half term holiday falling favourably. Prices are said to down an average of 5.7% compared to last year with Switzerland ski trips down as much as 14%.Macugnaga, Italy Macugnaga, Italy is actually comprised of two small villages, Staffa and Pecetto. Staffa is considered the heart of the resort and après-ski venues. Guiding for various itineraries around Mount Rosa is offered. There are two ski schools which offer all disciplines in various languages to their skiers. Snowboarding, night-skiing, Heli-skiing, ice climbing, ice hockey, paragliding, snow-shoeing and winter walking are some of their prominent activities for visitors to the area. The Swiss influence is visible as Macugnaga is very near the Swiss border. Historic parts of Staffa and a museum offer insight to the 13th century village.
- The three main ski regions of Italy are Cervinia; Piedmont-Northeast which as well as Macugnaga also includes Monterosa which has multiple 4,000m+ peaks and the Veneto-Dolomites region with Cortina d'Ampezzo perfect for beginners.
Aspen, USA Aspen, USA is found in Colorado and offers four distinct mountains for skiing, snowboarding and winter activities. The Buttermilk Mountain is the easiest and is a great mountain for beginners to traverse, while The Ajax Mountain is considered the athlete's mountain and is for expert skiers. Skiers worldwide travel to Aspen to attempt to successfully ski The Ajas. While at Aspen, visiting the Independence Pass, the Rio Grande Trail and the Maroon Bells Lake Scenic Trail are highly recommended. Horseback riding, hiking and biking the trails at Aspen offers magnificent scenery and photography opportunities.
- The USA has a wealth of ski resorts for all budgets and abilities; try the exclusive Beaver Creek, traditional Stowe in New England and enjoy a multitude of activities at The Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania such as hiking, fishing and camping.