Moving Overseas? Learn How to Quickly Update your Address with USPS

by Julie on December 7, 2017

Just thinking of moving can be stressful enough let alone moving country. However, there are times in your life when you need to move or change address even for a short period whether it is for work, to study abroad or even just to travel. And in so doing, it cannot be helped that you still need your packages and regular mail delivered to you even if you are just staying for like six months or less in your new address. If you are a frequent traveler and you want to make sure that you are still updated with your mail, you can request for temporary change of address with USPS. Here is how it works.

Since your move is not permanent, apply for a temporary change of address. There are three possible ways to do it. The easiest one would be to request it online. You will need a valid email address and a credit or a debit card. The US Post Office will electronically verify the information you entered with the bank that issued your debit or credit card to ensure the safety of your personal information. The card billing address must match the address you are moving from.

There is a $1 verification fee for this service. Temporary changes of address can also be done through phone. You can call 1-800- ASK-USPS. Identity verification is also required so you must have your credit or debit card handy. And lastly, you can fill out a form (USPS official address change form 3575). This can be downloaded from the USPS website or can be obtained from the post office. It must be mailed to the address found on the form two weeks before the move after you have completely and correctly filled out the necessary details. You can save $1 when mailing because there is no need for identity verification. After filing for the temporary change of address, you can expect a move validation letter to arrive at your old address and a confirmation letter to your new address after 7 to 10 days after your change of address effective date.

Temporary change of address can be done for a minimum of two weeks to a maximum of 6 months. But you have to indicate the date when you want to stop forwarding mails in the temporary address in your request. If you still need to stay longer in the temporary address, you can request for an extension for another six months or as needed. Just make sure to inform the local post office of the extension.

For travelers who are always on-the-go and would be spending two weeks to 6 months overseas, you need to file another request for a new temporary change of address. Using the online US Postal Service Change of Address website is still the best option for easier form processing. Other services that they may include are assisting with utility switches and locating movers.

If your temporary change of address needs modification or cancellation, you need the Zip code of your new location and the confirmation code provided to you when you requested a change of address. You need to log in again to the USPS website, modify according to your need then submit when finished. In case the confirmation code gets lost, you have to personally visit the post office and discuss with the postal clerk your cancellation or modification in your request for the change in address.

Moving will not be such a source of stress and can be handled easily when you take into account small but important details such as change of address early on in your moving journey.

Related Posts:

Leave a Comment