The mere mention of the word ‘waterfall’ conjurs up an image of hundreds of tons of wild water rampaging downwards. It also excites the more adventurous amongst us as waterfalls offer great opportunities for watersports, hiking and swimming. Here are just a few notable examples;
1. Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada/New York, USA – Many people come from all over the world to see Niagara Falls. It is favorite vacationing spot for many people and a honeymoon destination that is filled with romance. It falls 750,000 gallons per second and it is one of North America’s largest waterfalls by volume.
2. Victoria Falls, Livingstone, Zambia/Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe – These falls are a fabulous one to visit. Most people bring cameras and binoculars to take in this most wonderful sight. With all that there is to see, they can spend hours in this particular spot. Falling 108m it is one of the Seven Wonders Of The World.
3. Plitvice Waterfalls, Northern Dalmatia, Croatia – This is another world famous place to visit with falls that will dazzle you with splendour. Spending time in the area is what a lot of people do when they want to see a wonderful sight. The clean air and the scenery are spectacular.
4. Iguazu Falls, Puerto Iguazú, Argentina/Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil – This waterfall offers splendid views and nature at its finest. People flock from all over the world to take in this wonderful paradise. They spend time just listening to the water crashing down onto the rocks below. There are 275 waterfalls and cascades that actually make up this Iguazú Falls for some fantastic action. This was designated s a World Heritage Area in 1986 and San Martin Island in Brazil is a great place to see the falls from.
5. Gullfoss, Haukadalur, Iceland – This is a waterfall that will delight you. There are two tiers to this waterfall and they are in 90 degrees to each other. It makes it one of the most unique waterfalls in the world. Many people find that they get astonishing pictures when they visit this particular waterfall. It is Iceland’s most popular water fall and it drops 32m.
6. Yosemite Falls, California, USA – This waterfall is another favorite that many people like to visit. Such a tranquil and awesome place, it beckons people to visit its marvellous land. This is one of the world’s tallest falls and it stands at 2,424 feet. This is quite a place to visit when in Yosemite, California.
7. Angel Falls, Canaima, Venezuela – This waterfall is located in a rainforest for ultimate scenery that astounds onlookers. Many love to spend time in this area taking pictures and being around the fantastic scenes of nature. This permanent waterfall has a drop of 979m making it the tallest one of its kind in the world. It is located in Venezuela.
8. Gocta Waterfall, Peru – What makes the Gocta Waterfall astounding is the fact that it was only ‘officially’ discovered in 2005. Located in the northern province of Chachapoyas, Gocta measures some 771 meters (2,530 feet) tall and is now known to be the fifth tallest waterfall in the world. The Peruvian government have since turned the waterfall into a tourist destination where local hotels and restaurants command stunning views of the falls.
By Julie Bowman