Escape rooms in Edmonton are a new idea, but are quickly becoming a popular new trend. Escape rooms are physical games that require solving mental challenges to escape before time runs out. The goal of the game is to escape from a room by unlocking pieces or codes before they run out and find clues left by the owner in order to solve puzzles and find the key.
In Canada, escape rooms have started to become popular in cities like Vancouver and Montreal, where they have been around for a while. But now they are becoming popular in Edmonton and the surrounding cities, including Calgary and Red Deer. Although the idea is new to most people in Alberta, there are hints of it’s popularity. A recent article from CBC News says that there are already 15 escape room venues in the city of Edmonton alone! This idea is gaining popularity fast throughout Canada.
Benefits of escape rooms in Edmonton
- Escape rooms are based on escaping from a room. This is appealing to people who like solving puzzles or mind-bending challenges. The escape room experience is a surprise, unlike games that you see from the outside.
- Escape rooms are not just for children and teens. Adults can enjoy the same thrill of solving puzzles and finding secret clues to find the solution in order to escape from the room before time runs out, as well as have fun with their friends and family in a group setting. It’s an engaging experience for the whole family (even if they’re not all into it). Many children actually enjoy playing escape games more than other video games!
- When looking for things to do in Edmonton, you can try escape rooms with your friends or significant other. Although some escape rooms are played by couples, it is more common for people to play with a group of friends of coworkers to unwind after a long day.
- Escape rooms are popular in cities like Vancouver and Kelowna, but they were not always so successful. After the initial success of escape room venues around the world, they took off and started to become a wildly popular trend that people don’t want to stop doing. There have been many different franchises created, such as ESCAPE Rooms Canada, which began with one location in Vancouver and now has 13 locations across Canada and more opening every month.
- When playing, you are locked in a room, similar to prison escape games. This makes it a more immersive experience because you feel as if you are actually being forced to escape the room by solving puzzles and finding clues.
- The reason it’s taking off is because every day people are escaping from their everyday lives and are looking for something different to do that makes them feel alive. This can be a challenge for people, but is a great way to get out of your comfort zone and experience something different. In Edmonton, this has been seen as an escape.
- The rooms are not necessarily themed, but they are designed to look like something else (such as a spaceship), which can make the experience more fun and engaging. It is unknown how long the rooms will remain popular, but there are many different themes being created now, such as cloning labs, prison escapes, and haunted houses.