Are you going on a trip? If you want to get the most out of it, you can learn to speak to the locals. Don’t set unattainable goals, just start learning at least 10 foreign words a day, and you’ll master 70 in a week. Cool, right? Having relatives or friends abroad is a great motivation to learn the language because it allows you to not lose family and friendships, as well as not to have problems communicating with a new family member. In addition, the presence in the family of a foreigner who speaks, for example, English, contributes to the study of the culture and traditions of their country, and to do so without knowledge of the language is almost impossible.
What About Motivation?
Learning a language is a long process that requires patience. In order to achieve serious learning outcomes, it is necessary to imagine what it is for. Knowledge of the language contributes to the development of mental potential, expansion of worldview, professional growth.
- A worker who speaks a foreign language is valued much higher and receives a higher salary. In addition, there is an opportunity to get a job in a foreign company.
- Knowing the language, you can try your hand and enter a foreign university or take an internship in your specialty abroad.
- Language acquisition is the persistence in achieving a goal and demonstrates intellectual abilities. Learning any language is also great memory training, which in the future makes it easier to learn any material.
- The ability to enjoy works of art in the original (books, songs, movies, plays, etc.), allows you to enjoy the acting, which is lost in dubbing.
- Knowledge of the language leads to the blurring of cultural and national borders because a person begins to feel like a citizen of the world and can easily come into contact with representatives of other nations.
- No language barrier when traveling. For example, English is used by about 1 billion people worldwide. It is used in all hotels around the world, airports, train stations, major museums, so its knowledge automatically solves many problems that a tourist may face while traveling.
7 Points For Traveling And Learning
When we learn a language, we all need a teacher, but don’t limit yourself to the information they give you in language courses. Learn the language on your own, find friends from another country, write texts in a foreign language and watch TV series. Also, travel. It can help you in at least one of the following ways.
- Culture and language environment. When traveling, you not only combine the pleasant with the useful but also completely immersed in the language environment. This will help you learn the language and get acquainted with the new culture.
- Spoken language. Because, for example, English is spoken not only in English-speaking countries but also in almost all European countries, communication with locals will significantly improve your spoken English. You can use the TheWordPoint translations service if you need help with translating your documents for vocation. So pack your bags and go ahead.
- Practice everywhere. After all, traveling, we communicate, and in such conditions, learning a language begins with its practical application. So you will not waste time and immediately start with something useful. If you don’t know how to pronounce a word, YouTube will come to your aid.
- Motivation in learning a foreign language. Leaving the comfort zone in the future for many can be a driving force for language learning. Thus, when you find yourself in a situation where you have to explain something in a foreign language with words you already know, it will give you confidence and satisfaction.
- Corporate language tours. Companies arrange trips especially for those who want to improve their language.
- You will learn right away and read. Practice the language everywhere, on the bus, in the park, at work, it is up to you. As a last resort, bring a pocket dictionary or guidebook and try to read.
- Easy to learn, especially something basic. Just remember a few important phrases that you will definitely need. To begin with, these can be expressions of greetings and farewells, requests and thanks. Surprise or amuse your acquaintances in the new country by telling them a few words in their language.
It’s All About Fun
Learning a language while traveling is fun. You discover many different cultures, the customs of another country will become clearer to you because language is a reflection of the culture, history, and even philosophy of the people. A foreign language will open a completely different world for you and help you understand what used to be a mystery.
As Christian was choosing his future occupation, he was up for anything until it’s not boring. Luckily, he managed to discover research and writing early enough to make it his bread. Today, as Christian travels around the world searching for new experiences to write about, he never feels bored or incomplete in any way.