The Maldives is one of the most popular destinations in Asia. With pristine beaches and sunny weather throughout the year, visitors flock from around the world to enjoy this piece of island paradise. Many first-time visitors aren't sure where to begin when choosing a resort. After all, there are countless options from which to choose. This guide will help visitors choose the best resort for their first visit to the Maldives.
A vast majority of the resorts in the Maldives each have their own island. In total, there are 105 resorts that have access to a total island. Some of these islands are 2.5 km across while others are only 150 meters across. It is important to keep in mind that all of the accessible amenities will be those provided by the resort on their given island. Although there are boat tours to the capital and other fishing villages, visitors will only have access to their resort's amenities for a majority of the time.
Traveling from Airport to Resort
Because there are so many island resorts, traveling from the airport to the hotel can feel rather indirect. All international flights will land at the Hulhule airport in the capital of Malé. A majority of flight connections will be landing from Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Sri Lanka, although many other cities are starting to offer their own connections. Once travelers land in Malé, they will either be taken by boat, seaplane or domestic flight to their island resort. The method of travel depends on the distance of the resort from the airport. A majority of travel agents book a seaplane connection because of the stunning views and unique experience. Visitors should try to get a window seat in order to take pictures of the stunning atolls from above. Most seaplanes will land right in front of the associated resort with a floating dock onto which visitors can unload.
What to do in the Maldives
The Maldives is a chain of beautiful islands with white beaches, lush forests and a beaming marine life. This area is known worldwide for the amazing diving locations available. Visitors also come for the pristine beaches and perfect weather. Other than occasional trips to inhabited islands, most resorts don't offer a lot in the way of entertainment. This island getaway is more about slowing down and relaxing.
Choosing a Resort
There are hundreds of resorts from which to choose in the Maldives Water villa. Some range from budget accommodation to pure opulence. Although cost is always the primary consideration, there are many other factors that should be taken into account when choosing a resort.
1. Types of Accommodation: Resorts offer many different room accommodations. Some rooms will be part of a larger block, while other rooms will stand alone as a villa. Location is also a varying factor as some rooms will be closer to the beach while others are further inland. All of these differences can influence the price of accommodation per night.
2. Density: Travelers should also be considering the number of people that will be sharing their island getaway. Generally speaking, the more expensive resorts will offer more privacy and space. Those with budget prices will most likely have many rooms packed into a smaller area.
3. Proximity to Malé: Resorts closer to Malé have a shorter transfer time, but these locations may also be subject to more noise and light from the capital. Travelers can pay a little extra to have greater distance and more privacy.
4. Resort Amenities: As mentioned before, travelers won't have access to amenities outside of their resort. It is important to ensure that the chosen resort has everything one would need.
5. Diving Opportunities: For those visitors wanting to dive or snorkel, it is important to determine how far each resort is from a diving location. Some accommodations are on top of beautiful reefs, while others require a boat ride to access.
Many resorts offer a package option where travelers can purchase their food, drinks and other amenities in combination with their hotel room. Visitors should be diligent about doing the math on these packages to ensure that they are truly cost-effective.
Traveling to the Maldives is an amazing opportunity that won't soon be forgotten. Choosing the right resort can be a confusing process because of the sheer number of options available. This guide will help first-time visitors choose the best resort for their personal needs and desires.