If you’re planning on visiting Sherbrooke this year, you’re in for a treat. This beautiful city in the Estrie region of Quebec has so much to offer thanks to its vibrant cultural, urban and culinary scene. Only 90 minutes away from Montreal and approximately 45 minutes away from the US border, Sherbrooke is your ideal destination for a small getaway.
Whether you are visiting with family, friends, or with your significant other, there are so many fun things to do in Sherbrooke. From art galleries to museums, spas and shopping centres, there’s a little something for everyone.
Need any recommendations? Here are our top things to do in Sherbrooke.
1. Muralis: Sherbrooke’s Great Mural Experience
The first of its kind in Canada, the Murals Circuit showcases the city’s best street art. Explore Downtown Sherbrooke on foot and discover a little piece of its history through its vibrant murals. There are in total 14 murals – but you can also walk the half-circuit, which has 8 murals.
Learn more about Muralis.
2. Sherbrooke’s Nature Science Museum
If you’re in town with your family and you’re looking for what to do in Sherbrooke, consider visiting the Nature Science Museum. The museum’s permanent collections include a wide range of animal specimens (reptiles, birds, mammals, insects, etc.), dinosaur fossils, rocks, archeological objects and scientific instruments.
You can also explore its current exhibitions, including AlterAnima and Terra Mutantès. Offering unexpected encounters with animals and a sensory interactive experience, these exhibitions will be a joy to discover, especially with kids.
Learn more about Sherbrooke’s Nature Science Museum.
3. Foresta Lumina
No “Top 10 Things to Do in Sherbrooke” blog article would be complete without mentioning Foresta Lumina. Produced by Moment Factory, the masters of multimedia experiences, Foresta Lumina is an enchanting and mythical exhibit along the Coaticook Canyon. Explore Coaticook’s Parc de la Gorge by night and discover a magical world through lighting, sound and visual effects.
The exhibit runs though October 31, 2017. Make sure you book your visit in advance. Learn more about Forest Lumina today.
4. Sherbrooke’s Art Galleries
Sherbrooke has an impressive arts scene showcasing local, national and international talent across its many art galleries. Here are some examples of
- Sporobole: run by artists, Sporobole is an arts centre in Downtown Sherbrooke that showcases innovative projects. Learn more about Sporobole’s 2017-2018 programming and special events.
- Musée des beaux-arts de Sherbrooke: the city’s Fine Arts Museum is located in a beautiful 19th century building. Featuring 3 exhibit rooms, it showcases one-of-a-kind paintings, drawings, photography and sculptures. Guided tours are offered in both English and French. Learn more.
5. Spa Time
There’s no better way to relax and unwind than spending the day at the spa. People who travel to Sherbrooke and its residents can’t get enough of the city’s high-end spas, Spa Algua-Sulis and Strøm Spa.
Spa Algua-Sulis was crowned one of the top 9 most beautiful spas in the province of Quebec, and it’s definitely one of the top 10 things to do in Sherbrooke. From Finnish saunas to whirlpool baths, Nordic waterfalls and cold basins, this spa offers the best in Scandinavian-style relaxation. You can also book a massage, a facial or other treatment. Learn more about Spa Algua-Sulis (website in French only).
Strøm Spa is another beautiful spa in Sherbrooke you won’t regret visiting. Featuring detoxifying thermal baths, eucalyptus steam rooms, saunas, relaxation areas and fireplaces, this spa has everything you need to improve your overall well-being. Book a facial or body treatment and enjoy a delicious meal in the bistro. Strøm Spa is currently offering fall packages starting from $39. Learn more today.
6. Shopping Spree at Carrefour de l’Estrie
Carrefour de l’Estrie is one of the largest shopping centres in the region with over 200 stores. A visit to Sherbrooke wouldn’t be complete without a little shopping spree at this spacious and fashion-filled centre. From clothing to shoes, accessories, toys, electronics, homewares and art supplies, there’s something for everyone at Carrefour de l’Estrie. For more information, visit the shopping centre’s website.
7. LASER PLUS Family Fun Centre
This 11,000 square-foot arena has everything you need for a fun family outing. Complete with a laser tag maze, a glow in the dark miniature golf course and several party rooms, LASER PLUS is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Suitable for children 5 years old and up, the laser tag circuit can accommodate up to 14 people at a time. Missions last approximately 18 minutes. Since no projectiles are involved, it is not necessary to wear any safety equipment (except for closed shoes). For pricing or other information, visit the LASER PLUS website (website in French only).
8. L’Épopée de Capelton
Have you ever wondered what the inside of a mine looked like? Now is your chance! L’Épopée de Capelton is a copper mine built in 1863. Follow your guide for a 1h45-minute tour and discover the colourful underground galleries and impressive stalactites. Open on weekends through October 15, 2017, the site also has walking trails, a picnic area, a small museum, a boutique and a snack bar. You must book your visit in advance, so ensure you call before you go! For more information, visit Capleton’s website.
9. Enjoy a Delicious Meal
There are so many good restaurants in Sherbrooke and you’ll probably find it difficult to choose only one! If you’re in town for a couple of days, you’ll have the chance to try a few. Here are some of our recommendations.
- Boefish: this isn’t your typical surf and turf restaurant. Boefish offers a festive atmosphere complete with a live DJ set. The menu includes a raw fish and seafood bar, succulent appetizers, fresh fish, mouth watering filet mignon and other high-grade meats. Learn more.
- Antidote FoodLab: this cool restaurant is housed in an old textile plant and serves tasty comfort food. Recognized as one of Canada’s top 100 restaurants in 2016, Antidote FoodLab will not disappoint. Learn more.
- Méchant Steak: this stake house serves high-quality meats, fish, seafood and more. The best part about this restaurant? You can bring your own wine. Méchant Steak also has a kids’ menu, so the whole family can enjoy this outing. To view the menu, visit Méchant Steak’s website (website in French only).
- O Chevreuil: this rustic yet chic restaurant has single-handedly reinvented the tavern experience. O Chevreuil offers a unique menu comprised of local and seasonal ingredients; inspired by the great North American outdoors. Learn more (website in French only).
10. Discover Sherbrooke’s Microbreweries
Discovering the city’s microbreweries is definitely one of the top 10 things to do in Sherbrooke. Activities, outdoor treks, mine exploring and museums are all great tourism ideas, but you must try one of Sherbrooke’s many microbreweries and taste the finest IPAs, lagers, pilsners, ales, stouts and white beers. Here are some of our recommendations:
- Boquébière: this microbrewery offers a wide range of local beers, private imports and well-known favourites. It has the largest selection of beers in the area. You can also enjoy a satisfying dinner thanks to the great selection appetizers, sides and main dishes. Learn more (website in French only).
- La Mare au Diable: this brew pub offers some of the best beers in the city. It has a good atmosphere and serves a unique selection of beer cocktails. Enjoy a drink with friends and taste one of La Mare au Diable’s delicious menu items. Learn more (website in French only).
- Siboire: with two locations, there’s no excuse for missing out on Siboire. Nestled in an old train station, the first location, Siboire Dépôt, offers a unique, rustic atmosphere. The second location, Siboire Jacques-Cartier, is housed in a modern building with great architectural appeal. The microbrewery offers a large selection of beers and liquor, in addition to an impressive pub menu (and apparently the best fish & chips in town!). Learn more about Siboire.
As you can tell, there are quite a few things to do in Sherbrooke. From discovering the city’s murals on foot, exploring an old copper mine or participating in a friendly game of laser tag, there are many things to see and do. You should also probably stay overnight at one of our new, modern hotels. We look forward to welcoming you to Sherbrooke!