With the technology available today, you do not have to play hide and seek with your favorite programs. There are many easy ways to see your programs on the very next day at virtually no cost to yourself. There are, in addition, some more complex options that can allow you to watch the show as soon as it airs. At this point it depends on the best internet provider in your area.
How to Keep Up with Your Favorite TV Shows while Traveling
- The Day After - Many networks and cable TV stations maintain their own websites. The day after they air some of their more popular programs, they stream the episode online for their viewers. This is much like the regular TV watching experience and includes commercials as well.You will need access to the Internet while traveling to take advantage of this option. An additional drawback is that the means of viewing usually involves a laptop screen, which may not be very satisfying to viewers who prefer big screens or whose shows are best viewed that way.
- Stream Online - Welcome to the new world that companies such as Netflix, Crackle and Hulu have created with their websites. These and other websites offer to stream videos to your computer. Each company has the exclusive rights to different shows, so you might have to browse before you find what you are looking for.The major drawback is that many of these online channels only show older programs. For example, Netflixdoes not release the latest season of a show until the newest season is just about to begin. When they do release them, though, they are released simultaneously and without commercial interruption.Hulu is one company that will actually show many programs shortly after they are broadcast. They only have this privilege, though, with certain shows. So it is best to do some research before you dive in.
- Watch via Proxy - You may be out of luck no matter which method of streaming that you choose to use. If you travel outside the US, some of these websites will block streaming capabilities. To get around this issue, innovative TV watchers use proxies.A proxy is a computer in the United States to which you connect your own computer. This local computer accesses the chosen website to stream the videos and then transfers the video to your own computer or laptop. There are a number of commercial proxy services which offer this opportunity overseas.
- Slingbox - You buy this device separate from your computer or TV. Then, you hook it up to your cable or satellite DVR. With an internet connection, you can access the slingbox from anywhere in the world. It allows you not only to view what is on your DVR but also permits you to control it remotely. You can change your settings and schedules, which is very useful if you are going to be away for a while and your favorite program suddenly changes its showing times for special events.
- Torrent - Torrent is one of the more popular file-sharing applications out there. People record their favorite show and then upload it to the Internet, where anyone can access it for free or even copy the file. This is not reliable because you have to hope that someone will upload what you want. It is also a good way to catch a virus.
These are just some of the major ways that people are keeping track of their favorite TV shows while they travel abroad. Depending on what you like to watch and how you prefer to watch TV, you should be able to find a way to see the programs that you cannot live without.