Traveling can be a wonderful experience but can also quickly descend into a nightmare if you or a loved one is taken sick while traveling. Use the following tips and advice to stay healthy when travelling;
Prior to Travel
What you do before you travel is just as important as what you do while on the trip itself. Be sure to depart in a travel-state by maintaining a healthy lifestyle before you travel.
- Pack Well. Pack a capsule first aid kit with hand sanitizer, lotion, and other necessary travel comforts.
- Eat Healthily. Eating lots of fruit and vegetables and taking a multi-vitamin regularly before you leave on a trip will help your body adapt to possibly new or different foods and routines. It is a good idea to be as healthy as possible.
- Do Not Drink Alcohol. Alcohol can have negative effects and it can be particularly harmful before boarding a plane. If possible, avoid alcohol in the few days before travel.
- See a Doctor. See your doctor or health practitioner prior to your trip in order to be updated on vaccines or simply to have a regular check-up. This is especially important if you are pregnant or have any underlying medical conditions. This may also be a stipulation in your travel insurance policy.
Health Tips when Flying
Don’t let flying become an uncomfortable experience by not preparing correctly. With a few simple pointers it’s easy to stay fit and healthy on an airplane, not least packing a mountain of hand wipes and sanitizer sprat to combat the germs.
- Avoid Germs. Planes are full of germs so do you best to avoid them by bringing your own blankets and pillows and by sanitizing the surfaces that you do touch. A hand sanitizer is a great item to have here because you can clean not only your hands but also surfaces.
- Take Medication. If you have regular medications, take them onboard in your carry-on luggage, rather than stowing them away in your suitcase. Be aware that some countries may require a doctor’s note to accompany and explain certain medications, check before you travel. Carry aspirin for any potential headaches and chewing gum or boiled sweets to help eliminate popped ears while flying.
- Drink Water. Staying hydrated at 35,000 feet is very important. Drink plenty of water or tea in order to keep your fluid levels up. Water also helps to regulate the digestive system and helps banish dehydration and headaches.
Stay health whilst travelling
While you are actually away from home be sure to continue to eat healthily and drink lots of water.
- Check the local water. Depending upon where you are travelling, check that the local water you consume is safe. If not, use bottled water for drinking and brushing your teeth. Also avoid salads and uncooked vegetables washed in untreated water. Carry water purification tablets with you for use if you’re really off the beaten track.
- Ask. Seek the advice of friends and family who have travelled to your chosen destinations before.