Carve your pumpkins into freaky faces and get into that frightening fancy dress costume (masks optional) to celebrate Halloween 2010 and check out these Halloween hotspots around the world.
1. World’s Largest Halloween Party – Louisville Zoo, Louisville, KY, USA – Billed as The World’s Largest Halloween Party and held at Louisville Zoo, this is a fun event focused on festivities for the whole family (not too scary!) Meet a giant talking pumpkin aka the Mumpkin and take a ride on the Halloween Express Train but watch out for the Headless Horseman!
2. The Horrible History of Colchester – Colchester, UK – Colchester is one of the oldest towns in the UK and its castle is 1,000 years old, the perfect setting for The Horrible History of Colchester. Tour through the ancient streets with storytellers telling gruesome secrets of the town’s scary past and troubled history.
3. Bran, Romania – The home of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Bran in Romania, has got to be one of the scariest settings for Halloween. Dracula is reputed to have lived at the stunning Bran Castle and explore Poenari Castle and Hunyad Castle which were associated with Vlad the Impaler back in the 15th century.
4. Republic of Ireland – Check out Dublin which has Halloween celebrations aplenty with the long standing traditional torch-lit Celtic procession to the Hill of Ward near Dublin.
5. Paris, France – Head to Paris Disneyland for a Halloween showtime spectacular complete with Disney villains and mega-party on 31 October.
6. New York City, USA – New York sure knows how to celebrate Halloween and the Village Halloween Parade has been dubbed the most outrageous Halloween event in the world! It’s certainly one of the biggest, pulling in two million revelers. Check out the colorful parade party with giant papier-mâché puppets, jugglers, stilt-walkers and break dancers.
7 Australia – Halloween events are becoming more and more popular now in Australia and Sydney is hosting a Magique Halloween Circus in the Luna Park. Under the big-top will be a host of circus performers including burlesque dancers, fire-breathers, magicians, hypnotists and sword swallowers!
8. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada – If ghosts and ghouls are your thing then head to The Bytown Museum in Ottawa which is considered to be one of the most actively haunted places in the whole of Canada! It is home to six ghosts; Duncan McNab who died 150 years ago likes to type his name onto the museum computers. Children can be heard crying and the dolls in the exhibit have been known to wink. Spooky!