The 2010 World Cup has certainly been fascinating to watch so far, with some shock exits. Who would have thought that both the 2006 World Cup finalists, Italy and France, are out of the competition! And of course England are also out of the running.
For all those whose teams have crashed out, now is a great time to prise yourself away from the TV, put the vuvuzela down and escape on an exciting adventure vacation. Whether you’re looking for sun, sports or culture, here are some great ideas;
1. Turkey – Visit Turkey right now for some hot weather and even hotter history and culture sites. This huge country has some something for everyone; Aegean Turkey has Greek and Roman ruins set against crystal clear seas, Black Sea Turkey has dense forests nestled atop mountains with trekking and rafting opportunities and the bustling Marmara region is rich in Byzantine and Ottoman monuments. And don’t forget the fascinating cities, lunar-landscape Cappadocia and the Mediterranean seas and beaches.
2. Vietnam – An incredible destination all year round, Vietnam still remains one of the less visited countries in Asia. To soak up the atmosphere and French colonial architecture, head to Hanoi, for bustling markets and the famous moped-dodging head to Ho Chi Minh City and for chilled out water activities meander down the Mekong in the south and kayak around the rock formations in mystical Halong Bay. There’s also trekking and hiking opportunities in Sapa for the more adventurous and a real chance to meet ancient hill tribes and enjoy a homestay.
3. Russia – Whether you’ve only got a few days or a week to fill, Russia is a great destination. Although you’ll struggle to choose between Moscow, the huge capital city, packed full of striking architecture such as the Kremlin and St Basil’s Cathedral and Saint Petersburg, the Venice of the North, with The Hermitage and Winter Palace.
4. Kenya – Perfect for some amazing game viewing by air, on foot and by jeep, whilst camping amongst all the activity in luxury tented camps. Kenya is home to some incredible safari destinations; Samburu National Reserve, Lake Nakuru, Naivasha and of course the world famous Maasai Mara.
5. Peru – If incredible wildlife diversity is your thing, then head to Amazon basin, home to pink dolphins, jaguars, giant river otters, primates, 4,000 species butterfly and a third of the world’s 8,600 bird species! Or trek the famous Inca Trail of Machu Picchu, meander through handicraft markets and soak up the atmosphere in the buzzing cities of Lima and Cusco.
Check out the PureTravel website for all these great vacations and more destination ideas. And for the indecisive, the PureTravel website features destination guides to every country in the world!
6. New Zealand – The land of the long white cloud, New Zealand, is brimming with towering mountain peaks, expanses of lakes and rivers and active volcanic sites. There is plenty to keep wildlife and nature fans happy with an abundance of unique fauna, including the elusive national symbol; the kiwi. Thrill seekers can try their hand at skydiving, white-water rafting, bungy jumping, canyoning, shark diving, caving, black-water rafting, river sledging, sailing, and heaps more!