The following ten cities are expected to be the largest in the world by 2015 based on current growth.
I’m a big fan of facts and stats and find it interesting to note which cities were the biggest 100 years ago; London (4.6 million), New York (4 million) and Paris (2.7 million) and the factors that influence the growth of cities.
Japan is only the tenth most populated country in the world at present with 127 million residents, yet in 2015 it’s predicted that Tokyo will support a massive 37 million residents, 13 million more than the second biggest city. In 2015 it’s predicted that Delhi, the capital city of India will be second biggest city on earth supporting over 24 million inhabitants. In fact India has always been one of the most populated countries on earth with a population of 1.2 billion people currently. And in third position will be the Indian city of Mumbai, which is predicted to be home to nearly 22 million people in 2015. In fact, there will be the same number of people living in Mumbai as currently live in the entire country of Australia! And it’s predicted that India will be the number one most populated country by 2025 with an estimated population of 1.4 billion people!
1. Tokyo in Japan – 37 million
2. Delhi in India – 24.1 million
3. Mumbai in India – 21.8 million
4. Sao Paulo in Brazil – 21.3 million
5. Mexico City in Mexico – 20.1 million
6. New York in USA – 20 million
7. Shanghai in China 17.8 million
8. Kolkata in India – 16.9 million
9. Dhaka in Bangladesh – 16.6 million
10. Karachi in Pakistan – 14.8 million
Brings a whole new meaning to the term ‘city-break’ – perhaps megacity break would be more appropriate?