If there is one event that gets the family together it’s Christmas, and what better way to enjoy the festive season than in London? From opulent Santa’s Grottos and entertaining Christmas pantos to Hollywood cinema, no other place can capture the magic of Christmas like the capital. Below you will find our favourite family attractions over the festive holiday.
I-MAX – The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Peter Jackson has returned to the big screen to offer cinema goers the first chapter of the magnificent story of the Lord of the Rings. Before Frodo there was another Hobbit that undertook a traitorous journey across Middle Earth; Bilbo. Through The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey we are introduced to both old and new characters, and once again shown the evil power of the one ring.
- In BFI IMAX theatres in 3D from 13th December
The Nutcracker ballet
Christmas wouldn’t be the same without the classic ballet of The Nutcracker. The Royal Opera House will be hosting this fantastic performance from 10th December to 16th January and taking spectators on a wonderful adventure filled with the laughter and joy of Christmas Day.
- Performances are already selling out, so be quick and buy your Nutcracker tickets soon.
West End Productions
Pantos are wonderful for families who want to get involved with the production and London is filled with some entertaining plays that will have the whole family laughing and joining in all the fun. Here are a few you won’t want to miss:
- Jack & the Beanstalk at Theatre Royal Stratford East
- Beauty and the Beast at Shaw Theatre and Winston Churchill Hall Theatre
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at The Intimate Theatre
- The Three Muskeeters at Rosemary Branch Theatre
- Aladdin at The Theatre at The O2
- Cinderella at Compass Theatre
- Sleeping Beauty at Ryan Theatre
- Peter Pan at Beck Theatre
- Jack Frost’s White Christmas at St John’s Smith Square
If there was one place you had to take your children over Christmas, it would have to be Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland. Not only is there a glorious Santa’s Grotto, but there are rides and an ice rink alongside many stalls offering visitors scrumptious food and hot beverages. However, if you’re looking to take your children somewhere else to meet Santa, here are a few Grottos that might take your fancy:
- Greenwich Market
- Duke of York Square
- Canary Wharf
- Enchanted Christmas House
With so many events going on in London over Christmas, your family is sure to be spoilt for choice. Whether you will be taking to the ice at Hyde Park or enjoying a few laughs with the family during a panto production, we hope you have a very merry Christmas.
Family Christmas Entertainment in London has been written by Refresh Accommodation, a specialist in offering families, couples and friends luxury serviced apartments throughout the capital.